Advanced Steel Technology, an industry leader in steel fabrication, is looking for a dynamic individual for our Quality department. This person, with the Quality Manager, will evaluate, plan and administer the quality assurance system, standardization, and control plan functions to ensure product reliability and conformance to print specifications, customer, and company quality standards.
- Supervises and directs the quality functions and activities in support of company goals and objectives and customers' requirements.
- Assist QA Manager/Plant Manager with Planning, developing, and implementing standardization and control plans to meet internal and customer needs.
- Assist QA Manager/Plant Manager in Developing long term and annual plans in support of company objectives for quality.
- Ensures compliance with appropriate procedures in auditing, testing, documentation, and other quality assurance related areas.
- Assist QA Manager/Plant Manager with daily quality assurance activities.
- Performs daily rounds inspection of entire manufacturing operation.
- Confers with engineering and manufacturing to resolve problems with product design, specifications, materials, tooling, procedures, or processes affecting quality.
- Assist QA Manager/Plant Manager with communication with and/or visits to customers and suppliers to discuss specific quality problems, maintain good customer relations and to promote a positive quality image.
- Conducts technical investigations to resolve customer complaints and return issues.
- Assist QA Manager/Plant Manager with the specifications, selection, and purchases of QA capital equipment.
- Oversees the calibration of tools and gauges.
- Assist QA Manager in developing corrective/preventative action procedures and works with production to implement and monitor the effectiveness of CAR's.
- Assist QA Manager/Plant Manager with the quality training program.
- Provides technical assistance to purchasing, engineering, and manufacturing in such areas as interpretation of specifications, design concepts and related information in connection with the purchase of parts/materials, supplies, and inspection and/or test equipment. Must plan, direct, and implement the full scope of operations within the quality function.
- Problem solving, judgment, analytical and evaluation skills and initiative are required.
- Assist QA Manager in developing systems and procedures to ensure the quality of products.
- Assist Quality Manager / Engineer with quality improvement projects.
- Inaccurate data given on which management decisions are based could have far reaching impact and ultimately affect company profits, reputation, and customer relations.
- Maintains good housekeeping standards in assigned area.
- Performs all duties following established safety procedures and guidelines using assigned safety equipment.
- Performs other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, a related technical field, or equivalent preferred.
- At least 3 years of work experience in quality assurance, should be combined with a demonstrated track-record of accomplishments as a quality assurance supervisor, and with satisfying customers in technology-driven, developing companies.
- Must know quality systems including ISO 9000, quality systems theory and quality auditing procedures/systems.
- Requires skills in the use of all test lab equipment including: CMM and precision measuring instruments.
- Possess fundamental mechanical engineering knowledge and have engineering drawing and interpretation skills.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of the industries products, terminology, manufacturing processes and procedures.
- Must have computer skills and know specified software applications such as Microsoft Office, AS400 and other production software.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills.
- Requires knowledge of the OSHA safety policies and procedures.
COMPLEXITY OF DUTIES:
- Operates within AST guidelines, goals, and objectives for quality, with freedom given to establish priorities and make independent judgments.
- Works under the general guidance of the quality assurance manager and plant manager within company guidelines, policies, and procedures, with latitude for independent thinking and development of strategies.
CONTACT WITH OTHERS:
- Has daily internal contacts with most areas within the company for the exchange of information, assistance, and cooperation.
- External contacts are with managers, engineers and quality representatives of other companies, customers, and suppliers.
- Nature of contacts requires professional etiquette, tact, and courtesy to maintain positive working relationships.
- Has access to a wide range of data and information which are highly confidential and should not be disclosed including: product designs, processes, quality system documentation, test results, personnel files, new product designs, etc.
The physical demands listed here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of his/her job. Under the ADA, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must have manual dexterity, visual acuity, and the ability to speak and hear.
The work environment characteristics listed here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Under the ADA, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Exposed to both office and manufacturing environments, with the use of safety equipment such as hard hat and eye, ear and foot protection required in the plant.
- Mental concentration requirements vary by situation; most significant activities require intense mental effort.
- Subject to frequent interruptions requiring varied responses.
EXTENT OF SUPERVISION:
- Assist the QA Manager with the company's quality function including staffing, budgets, systems, and procedures, consistent with the company's guidelines for profitability and productivity.
SCOPE OF SUPERVISION:
- Assist the QA Manager with activities and employees in the Quality Assurance department.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified. AST reserves the right to modify this job description at any time.