Police Officer - Paulding Site
Georgia Highlands College (GHC) Campus Police Officer is certified by the State of Georgia to handle all aspects of emergency and non-emergency calls. This position is extremely critical to the safety and security of GHC students, faculty, staff, visitors, and for the protection of campus property and resources.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging.Regular full-time staff, administrators, and faculty enjoy the abundant array of University System health, retirement, and other benefits which includes tuition assistance after six months of employment. Additionally, GHC is a qualifying employer under the Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). This program provides student loan repayment and forgiveness for qualifying loans for eligible full-time employees. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
• Patrol a designated area of campus to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes and to enforce traffic regulations
• Take charge of and guide the work of subordinate law enforcement personnel in various situations until relieved by superior officer
• Answer calls and complaints involving accidents, fire, traffic, robberies, misdemeanors or felonies and takes necessary police action
• Investigate crimes against persons and property
• Interview victims and witnesses
• Search for and evaluate evidence
• Arrest person or persons suspected of crimes
• Prepare various records and reports
• Testify in court as required
• Performs related work as required
• Graduation from a standard high school supplemented by the completion of two years of college
• Three to five (3–5) years of experience in police or related work OR any equivalent combination of education and experience; prefer Associates or Bachelors degree with experience working on a college campus
• Possess a valid driver’s license and meet driving record criteria established by the Department
• Must be able to work weekends, holidays, different shifts or swing shifts and at any of the GHC campuses as needed upon request
NECESSARY Special Requirements:
• Will fully comply with the requirements for peace officer as set forth in the Georgia Peace Officers Standard and Training Act as defined by the Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Council. Georgia Law 92A-2100 (as amended).
Commensurate with experience and education.
Required Documents to Attach
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial transcripts (if applicable)
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Considerable knowledge of standard police practices and techniques
• Knowledge of controlling laws and ordinances, particularly the laws of arrest
• Knowledge of the university properties, population, and traffic control problems
• Knowledge of first aid principles
• Ability to guide and direct subordinate law enforcement personnel and assist in training programs
• Ability to deal firmly and courteously with subordinates and the public
• Ability to analyze the situations quickly and objectively, and on own initiative, to determine proper course of action to be taken
• Ability to obtain information through interview and interrogation
• Ability to speak and write effectively
• Ability to meet specific physical requirements that may be established by competent authority
Apply Before Date
Application Deadline: October 30, 2020
Georgia Highlands College is a multi-campus, state college member of the University System of Georgia. Founded in 1970 as Floyd Junior College, it now serves more than 6,000 students in Northwest Georgia and Northeast Alabama across its five locations in Rome, Cartersville, Marietta, Dallas, and Douglasville. GHC currently offers over 30 areas of study with associate degree and bachelor’s degree options both in the classroom and online.
We are a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for great employees to grow in a fast-paced and challenging work environment that encourages employee wellness and overall success. Our combined efforts at GHC have led to numerous awards, honors, and countless stories of success for students and employees.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Highlands College, as determined by Georgia Highlands College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Highlands College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.