Report to and works with the classroom lead teacher. Responsible for assisting the lead teacher with general supervision and management of the class.
Be willing to fulfill responsibilities in accordance with Montessori philosophy. Must be at least 18 years old and meet the requirements of the licensing agencies and/or accreditation organizations.
Minimum Educational Requirements
Must have a High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Have or be willing to receive certification as a Montessori assistant.
- Have knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices in early childhood.
- Have the ability to conform to an established work environment.
- Have effective interpersonal skills.
- Have the ability to communicate in a concise and effective manner.
- Have the ability to understand and follow instructions precisely.
- Have the ability to exercise tact, discretion and confidentiality.
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Training upon employment.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Arrive promptly daily.
- To assist the lead teacher in the preparation and maintenance of the prepared Montessori environment as directed; to include but not limited to keeping classroom materials stocked and prepared for the next day.
- Make supplemental Montessori materials for classroom as needed.
- To guide children when they work - may include giving lesson to individual or small groups of children.
- To keep the classroom environment clean, neat, and orderly following daily cleaning guide.
- To keep inventory of supplies needed and to maintain a storage area for all supplies.
- To change diapers and assist with toilet training if needed due to age of children
- To assist with the supervision of the children outdoors in all seasons.
- To have knowledge of basic first aid procedures and assist the children in this matter when needed.
- To help maintain current and accurate classroom records concerning the children.
- Must have the ability to communicate with lead teachers, director, assistant director, and parents.
- Integrity and Trust – Show consistency between words and actions.
- Protect confidential and sensitive information.
- Effectively handles emotions, including anger and frustration.
- Ethics and Values – Engages in open and honest dialogue with others.
- Treat all individuals (residents, staff and guest) respectfully, professionally and fairly.
- Customer and Team Focus – Establish and maintains effective customer relationships.
- Demonstrates effective customer relationships.
- Ability to be covered under the Authority’s fidelity bond.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License.
Must have the ability to:
- Lift up to 40 lbs.
- Supervise outdoor activities in all seasons
- Repetitive lifting, bending, stretching, stooping, pushing, pulling, squatting, trunk twisting, kneeling, and working with children sitting on the floor.