The purpose of this classification is to manage, direct, and coordinate all activities of the Floyd County Police Department while exercising responsibility for enforcement of state and local laws relating to public safety and welfare.
Directs all departmental functions and support staff activities in order to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of the department; supervises and evaluates police services; determines proficiency level and identifies areas requiring improvement; formulates and executes action plan to correct deficiencies; coordinates mutual police protection plans with surrounding jurisdictions; appears in court to present evidence and give testimony; works with court liaison on matters concerning police services; remains on twenty-four hour call and/or regularly work on various shifts, weekends, and holidays as deemed necessary.
Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Social Science, or Business Administration or a related field; five years of management experience in local government involving law enforcement, criminal investigation, and police administration or a related field; must possess a valid Georgia driver's license; must be at least 21-years of age; must be a U.S. Citizen or resident status; must be Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified as a law enforcement officer; must possess a current and valid firearms licenses.
- Health/ Major Medical (County pays between $4,671.96 - $15,163.32 annual cost of medical insurance.)
- Dental (Employer pays $96.00 annual cost of dental insurance.)
- Long-term Disability (County pays $2.52 - $181.44 annual cost of premium.)
- Retirement (Defined Benefit Pension Plan. All contributions made by County)
- Paid Holidays ( 9 per year)
- Paid Vacation-annually: (48 - 168 vacation hours annually depending on years of service.)
- Paid Sick Leave (96 hours / year. May only be used according to county policy.)
- INCENTIVE PAY: Certified Public Safety Employees are provided up to $1,500 additional compensation per year for completion of approved coursework from a regionally accredited college or university.
- LONGEVITY PAY: Pays 1, 2, or 3 percent of salary plus $50 per year depending on years of service.