The purpose of this position is to receive emergency calls from the public and dispatching emergency response ( i.e. Rome City Police, Floyd County Police, Floyd E.M.S., Rome Fire Department, Sheriff’s Department, and E.M.A.) to the scene. The position is responsible for conveying information to the general public and City and County public safety agencies.
Receives incoming telephone calls from the public and from other public safety agencies. Obtains detailed information, determines emergency services needed, and dispatches appropriate personnel. Provides field personnel with necessary information upon request. Keeps a detailed log of incoming telephone and radio calls. Enters a variety of data into computer and extracts required data from computer. Checks data on 911 screen for accuracy; completes necessary forms for the correction of information within the 911 system. Monitors and routes incoming calls from Emergency Management, the National Weather Service, and the Hearing Impaired Telephone System. Receives and logs commercial and residential alarm systems and files reports, logs, and other paperwork. Performs other related duties as assigned. May be required to testify in court in reference to 911 calls.
Must possess a High School Diploma or G.E.D., possession of, or the ability to obtain the following: Full Terminal Operator (GCIC-NCIC) Certification, Basic Communications Officer Certification and Emergency Medical Dispatch (Preferred), complemented with a minimum of one (1) year experience in public safety dispatching. Ability to read, write, and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with completion of High School or equivalent. Must be able to type at least 35 words per minute.
- Health/ Major Medical (County pays between $4,671.96 - $15,163.32 annual cost of medical insurance.)
- Dental (Employer pays $96.00 annual cost of dental insurance.)
- Long-term Disability (County pays $2.52 - $181.44 annual cost of premium.)
- Retirement (Defined Benefit Pension Plan. All contributions made by County)
- Paid Holidays ( 9 per year)
- Paid Vacation-annually: (48 - 168 vacation hours annually depending on years of service.)
- Paid Sick Leave (96 hours / year. May only be used according to county policy.)
- INCENTIVE PAY: Certified Public Safety Employees are provided up to $1,500 additional compensation per year for completion of approved coursework from a regionally accredited college or university.
- LONGEVITY PAY: Pays 1, 2, or 3 percent of salary plus $50 per year depending on years of service.