MAJOR DUTIES: Supervises and controls inmates within institution and transports as needed. Maintains security of institution and grounds, including observing and searching for contraband. Supervises inmate activities and movements. Assists in medication to inmates. Settles disputes between inmates. Assists in counts. Checks doors for security; visually inspects for unusual, illegal, or unsafe activity and emergencies; conducts shakedowns to seize contraband material and weapons; assists in processing inmates in and out; directs work of trustees; operates lock systems; monitors inmates movement within the institution; provides personal hygiene items to inmates as needed. Settles disputes between inmates and performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or G.E.D.; no previous experience required Must have sufficient vision, strength, stamina, and agility to perform all duties without assistance on a regular basis. No felony convictions or misdemeanors to establish a pattern of disregard for the law. Must be fingerprinted and a search made of local, State and National files to disclose any criminal records. Ability to be (P.O.S.T.) certified within six (6) to twelve (12) months after hire. Will be required to attend five (5) weeks of training at Georgia Department of Corrections Training Center at Tift College. Must possess a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Health/ Major Medical (County pays between $4,671.96 - $15,163.32 annual cost of medical insurance.)
- Dental (County pays $87.60 annual cost of dental insurance.)
- Long-term Disability (County pays $2.52 - $181.44 annual cost of premium.)
- Retirement (Defined Benefit Pension Plan. All contributions made by County)
- Paid Holidays ( 9 per year)
- Paid Vacation-annually: (48 - 168 vacation hours annually depending on years of service.)
- Paid Sick Leave (96 hours / year. May only be used according to county policy.)
- INCENTIVE PAY: Certified Public Safety Employees are provided up to $1,500 additional compensation per year for
completion of approved coursework from a regionally accredited college or university.
- LONGEVITY PAY: Pays 1, 2, or 3 percent of salary plus $50 per year depending on years of service.