MAJOR DUTIES: Maintains high visibility by patrolling assigned area, County streets, parks, neighborhoods, and businesses to ensure security. Performs surveillance of problem locations and criminal suspects, collects and reviews data. Investigates reported crimes; interviews and obtains statements from victims, witnesses, suspects, and confidential informants; processes crime scenes; gathers, prepares, and submits evidence to crime lab. Obtains warrants, performs various types of search operations, and locates missing persons. Responds to dispatched communications, responds to emergency calls and calls for assistance; mediates disputes and advises rights. Responds to accident calls; gathers information at the accident scene; investigates and reconstructs serious injury or fatal accidents; interviews victims and witnesses; investigates accidents; notifies next-of-kin as necessary.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: No prior law enforcement experience or training is necessary. Only highly motivated candidates need apply. Applicants must meet all requirements in O.C.G.A. 35-8-8. High School Diploma or G.E.D. required. Must be at least 21 years of age and a U.S. Citizen. Must possess a valid Georgia Driver’s License with good driver’s history. Must possess or be capable of the following: qualify with a firearm; demonstrate good driving skills in order to qualify on the Emergency Vehicle driving course at Basic Mandate. Possess report writing skills. Possess the capability to read and understand the Georgia traffic and criminal code and case law.
- Health/ Major Medical (County pays between $4,671.96 - $15,163.32 annual cost of medical insurance.)
- Dental (County pays $87.60 annual cost of dental insurance.)
- Long-term Disability (County pays $2.52 - $181.44 annual cost of premium.)
- Retirement (Defined Benefit Pension Plan. All contributions made by County)
- Paid Holidays ( 9 per year)
- Paid Vacation-annually: (48 - 168 vacation hours annually depending on years of service.)
- Paid Sick Leave (96 hours / year. May only be used according to county policy.)
- INCENTIVE PAY: Certified Public Safety Employees are provided up to $1,500 additional compensation per year for
completion of approved coursework from a regionally accredited college or university.
- LONGEVITY PAY: Pays 1, 2, or 3 percent of salary plus $50 per year depending on years of service