MAJOR DUTIES: All tasks as directed by the Sheriff, enforces all rules and regulations of the Jail; maintain safety and security of the general public, facility staff, and inmates. Takes custody of new arrivals, escorts inmates to various parts of the jail facility; conducts GCIC/NCIC check on arrestee, enters data in and retrieves intelligence information from the computer system. Performs special transportation assignment duties and Court services. Serves criminal and civil process issued by the courts; testifies in judicial process, complaint for divorce, custody, restraining orders, etc.; serves criminal arrest warrants. Performs other related duties as assigned. POSITION REQUIRES WORK ON VARIOUS SHIFTS, WEEKENDS, AND/OR HOLIDAYS AS DEEMED NECESSARY. MUST BRING IN ONE TEST SCORE FROM ONE OF THE FOLLOWING FOUR TEST: SAT, ACT, COMPASS OR ASSET.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED for Jail Officer, Starting salary will be based on Certification. High School Diploma or G.E.D.; no previous experience required. Must possess a valid Georgia Motor Vehicle Operators License, must be at least 18 years of age, no state or federal convictions punishable by imprisonment in federal or state prisons, no misdemeanor convictions sufficient to establish a pattern of disregard for the law. Must have no convictions of Family Violence Crimes. Must attain and maintain P.O.S.T. Basic Jail Officer Certification within six months of appointment. Must pass and maintain certification as Georgia Peace Officer when appointed to that position.
- Health/ Major Medical (County pays between $4,671.96 - $15,163.32 annual cost of medical insurance.)
- Dental (County pays $87.60 annual cost of dental insurance.)
- Long-term Disability (County pays $2.52 - $181.44 annual cost of premium.)
- Retirement (Defined Benefit Pension Plan. All contributions made by County)
- Paid Holidays ( 9 per year)
- Paid Vacation-annually: (48 - 168 vacation hours annually depending on years of service.)
- Paid Sick Leave (96 hours / year. May only be used according to county policy.)
- INCENTIVE PAY: Certified Public Safety Employees are provided up to $1,500 additional compensation per year for completion of approved coursework from a regionally accredited college or university.
- LONGEVITY PAY: Pays 1, 2, or 3 percent of salary plus $50 per year depending on years of service.